Monday, July 5, 2010

"God said to Abraham, 'kill me a son,'
Abe said 'Man, you must be putting me on.'
God said 'No,' Abe said 'What?'

God said 'You can do what you want, but the next time you see me coming you better run.'" - Highway 61 - Bob Dylan


I miss Gulu. I loved the small town, rural feel of northern Uganda. I hope I'll be able to go back at some point.

We've talked a lot during our classes about what we would do if we were in a situation like in 1994. Would we evacuate with all the other white people, just because we have a blue or red passport? Or would we stay, risk our lives, and potentially save some in the process? What makes people stay, while so many leave?
I had a dream the night after that conversation (which was started because of a documentary we watched called 'Ghosts of Rwanda') where I was put in that situation. I was on the border between Uganda and Rwanda with my 1-month-old Gulu brother on my back and one Gulu 4-year-old in each arm. The UN was blocking my way and kept saying that I could cross the border but they couldn't, they weren't American/Swiss/White. I was screaming at the 'casque bleu' to let me through, that these were my kids. Then I woke up. I'd like to think I would do that in real life, but who knows...

I went to the Hotel des Milles Collines the other day to watch the Ghana-Uruguay game. It was so eery. It's just a luxury hotel with rich people everywhere, people laughing. How could anyone be there and act as if it was just another place? The pool is the same. The same as in the movie Hotel Rwanda. The same as in 1994. People drank the water out of that pool to survive. I wish I could upload the picture of the pool, with the name of the hotel at the bottom of it. It's freaky.

Yesterday morning was church. An attempt was made to convert me to born-again Christianity. For 4 and a half hours. I won't go into detail but I was offended by a lot of what was said (ex: The Holocaust was the consequence of the Jews killing Jesus...) and not too happy about being put in that situation.

2 more days in Kigali before we go to Kibuyem, and then back to Uganda.

Starting to think more about this whole South Asia trip. I'm so excited but 4 months?! Damn.
If anyone who is going to be in the area wants to meet up (Sujath, I'm looking at you), here are my tentative dates:

  • July 19th-August 18th: Delhi, Varanasi, Tawang
  • August 18th ish-August 22nd: Delhi (KOMAL - will you be there then? Can we love each other, Indian street food-style?)
  • August 23rd-October 15th: Internship in Punjab
  • October 16th-November 17th: Nepal (EVALINE - see you there?)

No comments:

Post a Comment