Friday, July 23, 2010

Varanasi

Here we are in Varanasi, on the (sometimes septic) Ganges River. The city is a mixtures of highs and lows.
The highs:
Beautiful and spiritual.
The Lows:
Dirtiest place I've ever seen - never really thought that where there are thousands of animals roaming the street there will also be crap everywhere. And I mean everywhere.
It's also pretty damn hot, but ah it's manageable.

We've basically spent the past few days getting lost here. Saw the burning ghat where the bodies are burned before the ashes are thrown into the river - pretty amazing sight. Tonight we'll be going to an Indian music concert, which should be fun. We also took a couple of boat rides on the Ganges - one at sunrise and one at sunset, which were both lovely. The city is only really alive in the morning and evening, since it's so hot during the day, so it's really nice to see people out, bathing, washing clothes, etc. The constant harassing is pretty annoying, but such is life.

We'll be here for another 2 days or so, and we get back to Delhi on Monday to get my second rabies shot. We may try to go to Agra to see the Taj Mahal on Tuesday if we have time before we go off to either Tibet or Kashmir, but we shall see.

All in all, I'm really liking it here - not sick yet (knock on wood) and the heat is totally bearable.

Also, found out my internship is near Hoshiarpur, in Punjab, for those who may want to Google map my every move (I know, I know, you guys just miss me that much...). Planning on finding someone to teach me Bhangra so I can impress JB and join a Swiss Banghra team someday.

No comments:

Post a Comment