Sunday, June 13, 2010

Reality

Shit's getting real.

I talked to my homestay brother a little about his experiences in the war the other day on the way to school and wow. It was scary. He didn't say things in too much detail, and I won't say too much on this blog, but it was insane. I was walking on a dirt path with this kid who did unspeakable things. It's scary and heartbreaking all at the same time. Some of the things he said that really hit me were "If you are quiet, they say that you are thinking of your parents, so they kill you. If you smile too much, you are happy, so they kill you."

What world do we live in where a 17 year old kid has lived through that?

He said his mother and all of his siblings had died, and that his father didn't want totake care of him. "God has plans for me." I don't know what he would have to live for if he didn't have that. Even though a lot of this born again stuff over here is creepy to me, I'm happy that he has that.

Most of the last few days have just been really emotional with the whole child soldier realization. It's not something you read in a book anymore. It's not a sad story you see on CNN and forget about an hour later. It's a real person and it's really his life.

On a happier note, last night was the party for all of the homestay families. We were at this hotel called Acholi Inn and had dinner and dancing. I'm apparently not too bad! One person even told me that this is where I belong cause I can move my hips like an African. SCORE! T.I.A. This Is Africa.

And on the fail of the day: The whole "fat is a compliment" thing going on around here... Yeah... I'm over it...
I was sitting at my neighbors and they all start touching their calves and laughing. My homestay mom turns to me and says "your legs are so big and beautiful." Yeah... thanks... The neighbor girl then said that "my legs look like mosquito legs next to you." I'ma a cut you! Nah it's alright but seriously. I need to go back to the land where people don't say what they think!
I also walked to the market the other day with my neighbor and my sister. They said I didn't need tobring anything. So I didn't. Not even water. Little did I know that this market was an hour and a half walk away on a dusty street! Argh! Weak mzungu! We got some tomatos and okra and dried fish for dinner and man was I tired when I got back! They thought this weak mzungu wasreal funny. But meh at least I didn't have togotochurch this morning. "You need your rest." Beats the born again churches some of the kids on the program went to with their families - exorcism!

Will be here until Thursday when we go back to Kampala. Can't wait for a sit down toilet. Having flies crawling on my when I'm going pee in the latrine is getting real old real quick.

Adios!

No comments:

Post a Comment